The Hunt for New Tires and Wheels


My Cougar XR7 was originally equipped with 14 inch wheels and XR7 hubcaps.  The tire size was E78 x 14 and if I'm not mistaken, the original tires were thin stripe double whitewalls. The comparison would be 195 x 75, if even available today.  It's a higher profile and narrower tire than found on most cars of recent vintage.  The 1970 XR7 is pictured in the showroom brochure with the double whitewall and I still have one as a spare.  

Long ago, we switched from bias belt to radial and went to 70 series tires with a wider footprint.  The hotter tire option in 1970 was the F70 x 14.  The comparison would be 215 x 70 and that's the size of whitewall I put on the Cougar about 14 years ago.  The combination of a whitewall tire and the XR7 hubcap says luxury, not muscle.

The dilemma

14 years is a long life for a tire, even though there are not a lot of miles on them.  The hunt has begun for a new set.  My thinking has been whitewalls to keep it looking stock.  That way the original hubcaps would still be featured.  What a bad case of sticker shock!  The only whitewalls I can find are special order, at more than twice the cost of anything else on the market.  

So a decision has to be made.  Stock or modified?  

I'm not that much of a purist.  The Cougar is not a pristine show car, I drive it and I've always loved the look of mag wheels.  If I go that route, I can  garage the original rims and hubcaps, even keep the old whitewalls.  And, a raised white letter tire such as the B. F. Goodrich Radial T/A is readily available. 

Choices

As for wheels, several questions must first be answered.  
  • Like the whitewall, 14 inch rims are virtually non-existent.  Most suppliers start at 15 inch and go up from there.  I don’t want them too big.  The look I’m going for is still classic muscle car, not Hot Wheels style mega rims with ultra-skinny tires.  
  • American Racing makes a number of classic mag wheels in 15 inch or larger.  They are expensive and take six or more weeks for delivery.  Nothing is on the shelf.  All orders are custom.
  • West Coast Classic Cougar stocks a number of Cougar/Mustang reproduction wheels, including the Magnum 500.  They do offer the 14 inch.  But, if I go with the 15 inch, it’ll be easier to find tires in the long run, at least that’s what I am told.  Depending on delivery charges, a set of Magnum 500's plus the new rubber would likely cost around the same as the special order whitewalls.  

Cruisin' season soon

I put the Cougar on the road for six months a year, beginning May 1st or 15th depending on the weather.  The start date is fast approaching.  I need to get rolling.

2 comments:

  1. Like to see pictures of the new wheel/tire combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter..New blog post has a couple of pics. You'll see more with future posts. I've got some great shots of the Cougar XR7 this year and expect more to come. First car show coming up.

    ReplyDelete